Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Brutal for Brutal's sake

 


Today's post takes us outside my comfort zone -- architecture. I've been told by many that I should only write about what I know. That explains the limited range of topics seen here at R17. 

I know:

advertising
politics (PhD in Trumpian politics)
college level math
Oncology
parenting (good and bad)
marriage
Home ownership
Caganers
Pet poopy etiquette
Jeopardy
grieving
And little else

To me architecture is like art. I know what I like when I see it. And what I don't like when it was built in the Soviet Union in the 1970's. It even has its own stylized named: Brutalism.

It was born in the UL in post World War II, but adopted, adapted and given that unique graceful Russian touch under the ever-watchful eyes of the Kremlin and Politburo officials. 

I have been admonished in the past when I took my clicking and clacking to skewer Russian dating sites. I forgot which R17 reader of Russian descent took me to task on that, but I did point out my relatives were from the Litvak corner of Belarus, meaning I could claim some Russo-Executive Immunity.

And truly, I have nothing against Russian people. I admire their inarguable stoutness, their high capacity for pain, their brutal honesty, and their vodka-fueled elegance.

Additionally, one cannot pass on the opportunity to admire Russian intelligence. They are smart. Book smart. Strategy smart. Scientifically smart. And most of all chess smart. When I play chess online and come up against an Igor, Ivan, or Boris, I know within 10 moves I've lost the game. Badly.

If only the Russian people could take those big brains of theirs and apply some to the way they construct governments. As well as buildings.

To wit:







To my undiscerning eye, one is uglier than the next.

Of course it's all subjective. This might be your cup of borscht or slivovitz, it's just not mine.



No comments: