Thursday, March 31, 2022

23andEsrati


Several years ago, I gave in to my curiosity and sent the good people at 23andme my $99 and a few good scrapes of inner cheek. Or maybe I just spit in a tube. I don't remember.

My results were not all that earth-shattering. They just confirmed what little I knew of my dysfunctional family history.

Although through the genetic testing I did discover a cousin on my father's side and my cousin's aunt. As well as few relatives on my mother's mysterious Scottish side, who love to laugh and drink but tend to remain  very quiet with regards to stories of uncles, cousins and fathers from the British Isle and even less about the ones who came over from Ireland.

Not that I could ever keep them straight. There's enough John, Paul, George and Jimmys to start a dozen British rock bands.

In any case, every few months or so, the 23andme people send me a new list of relatives. Most, if not all are distant cousins, descended in a longwinded way from a set of grandparents that go back 5 generations.

It's fascinating and it's frustrating. 

One time I was scanning the list of new relatives and stumbled upon a familiar last name. It was agency producer, from New York, who also happened to be one of my 2000+ Facebook friends. When I informed her of this odd connection she put me on mute and never wrote back. I suppose if I were in her shoes, I'd do the same.

Last week a new set of relatives popped up. Along with a name I had recognized from my linkedin list of connections. An advertising compatriot named David Esrati. His response was much warmer. Indeed we have been exchanging emails lately.

David, a fan of this blog, knew of of my intense hatred for the past presidential administration and its toxic effect on our country. Only David is more ambitious than my 64 years of age allow. He is doing something about it. My third or distant cousin David Esrati, who also happens to be a a veteran and a community activist, is running for Congress. Moreover he has asked me to help humiliate his Trumpster opponent.

Well, family is everything. But the opportunity to send a Trumpster candidate back to the anti-semitic fascist hole he belongs in, is everything and then some.

Like myself, David is neither Republican or Democrat and is running under an independent ticket in a heavily gerrymandered district. Meaning he stands a solid chance. Also, like myself, David is committed to addressing the injustices of this world. Which must be in the Siegel DNA. Or at least the DNA he and I share.

More to come on the Esrati campaign. 

6 comments:

Anne Kurtzman said...

it's fascinating. I must say that a brief dip into Ancestry.com's archives came up with some pretty fabulous stuff including a photo of my father-in-law's great great grandfather playing in the a Jewish Baseball League in the 1890's, The resemblance was astounding.

David Esrati said...

Rich,
I am humbled- and while I may not love our local Dem party which is almost as corrupt as the former orange monster, I am a Democrat.
However, the district is heavily gerrymandered- and being a veteran first, which means an American, I put the values of my community first.
We've been abused by big business- and the Military Industrial Complex which is my oppositions bread and butter.
I have to make it through a 4 way primary before advancing to take on Mike Turner- and for that- people should see what my "opposition" offers- which I do on www.electesrati.com
We don't have any ad folks in Congress- and if there's one thing in short supply there- it's creativity. I hope the advertising community joins me in trying to bring some of the same rules we live by- like "Truth in Advertising" to politics.
Thanks for the post. I can't wait till I give you the opposition research on my longtime nemesis and see what you do with it.

Unknown said...

i met 5 first cousins and one second one...talk about dysfunctional family secrets kristina lewis

David Buccalo said...

Enjoyed this post, brought more than one smile to my face.

Mike Bock said...

David, it is inaccurate to state that OH-10 is “heavily gerrymandered.” It’s not. It simply leans Republican. Its two whole counties, undivided, plus part of a third. It’s probably themost competitive district in the state

David Esrati said...

Mike- OH-10 is PLUS 9 R.
That's a grerrymand. It's in violation of the State Constitution. That's why these lines will change in 2024.