Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Rotten peaches


Like you, I watched in disbelief, the racist tomfuckerry taking place in Georgia last week. 

Look at this photo, 7 old white men, in front of an oversized painting of a slave plantation, signing a bill to suppress the votes of African Americans. 

Outrageous doesn't even begin to describe what has happened in the formerly peachy state. Watching this unfold on CNN or MSNBC (for those of you who want to partake of tired tropes), you could see the steam bursting from wife's ears.

I turned to her and said, "if I were black, I'd be so fucking pissed."

Oooops, there it is, I did it again. I stepped in a pile of putrid white privilege. My own. And some of you probably didn't notice. 

Let's back up a bit and I'll explain. 

Years ago, I got in a political "discussion" with my friend Lando, one of the few black people ever to step foot in the Chiat/Day creative department. I remember trying to make a particular point and innocuously (or so I thought) said, "As a black person you should understand this more than anyone."

Lando stopped me in my tracks and countered, rather strongly, "I shouldn't have to be a black person to exhibit empathy for any specific cause. Do you assume only Jews can identify with and share the pain of the Holocaust?"

And of course, he was right. 

Consequently, I should be fucking pissed about what has taken place in Georgia. We should all be fucking pissed!!!

Think about this, in order to fight "voter fraud"(of which there was none) and maintain "election integrity", the Georgia GOP is closing polls on Sunday, a revered day for black voting, eliminating drop boxes, cutting down on mail-in ballots and, get this, criminalizing the act of giving water to people standing in line to vote. How very white and how very Christian.

This is nothing more than a hateful Draconian solution to a problem that doesn't even exist. In the last election close to 5 million Georgians exercised their American right to vote. After three completely unnecessary recounts, there were 16 cases of voter irregularities. S I X T E E N!!!

I did the math, of course.


That's how much "fraud" there was. And that's what commanded the attention of Klansmen/GOP representatives in Georgia.

Well, fuck them.

This week I'm redirecting a portion of my paycheck to Stacey Abrams and her continued fight to bring equality to the table. And, though I'm still breaking rocks in Facebook Jail, I am committing myself to mock and rock Governor Kemp's world with a steady stream of denigration and social media mischief.

It's on, Guv, it's on.













No comments: