Thursday, October 25, 2012

Who wants some spotted dick?


Writing this blog and providing a laugh, 4 days a week, every week for the last 4 years, can get a little tiring. There are times when I just don't feel like making with the funny. But, as I have often found, when the inspiration isn't there, friends and family are.

Last week, we went to a housewarming party for some dear friends who moved from Beverlywood (2 miles from Canter's Deli) to Irvine (56 miles to Canter's Deli).

The party was attended by some of the folks we go camping with every year. Including Liam, a 14 year old boy, who is unusually averse to bathing soap but shares my affinity for sophomoric humor.

Particularly when it shows up on the shelves of a local supermarket.

So Liam brought this can of Spotted Dick Pudding as a housewarming gift. Not because anyone at the party fancied some with their ice cream (if that's what people do with Spotted Dick Pudding) but because he knew I would want a picture of it for my blog.

His little gift brought a smile to my face. It also served as a reminder to count my blessings, meaning my two daughters. Because if I had sons, who would now be teenage boys, life in this house would have been insufferable.

And as surely as a toilet seat that never went down, my wife would have left a long, long time ago.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Spotted Dick. The Whiskey, '06.