Tuesday, August 11, 2020

My new Avatar


Like many of you, I find myself on back to back to back Zoom calls these days. Only the company I work for doesn't use Zoom, we're on the Google plan. A difference without distinction. The point being is that I'm on camera all day long.

The camera and I are not good friends, so I will often turn it off and resort to an avatar. This brought on sudden pangs of panic the other day, as I had been using a photo of Pai Mei, from the Kill Bill movie, as my icon.

For the unfamiliar...


Those that know me, know I lean towards the irreverent. Accordingly, I thought it was completely innocuous to use this photo.

But we live in a time where sensitivities are high. And lawsuits are plenty. It occurred to me, during a call that included the company CEO and CMO, that someone, of Asian descent or not, might take offense to my usage of this character. Ignoring that fact that I admire Pai Mei for his unflinching grouchiness. And godlike agility.

And so, bowing to an abundance of caution and my sudden awokeness, I went searching for a replacement avatar. And found the cartoon pictured above.

This of you who put in time at Chiat/Day, will recognize the handiwork of in-house storyboard artist extraordinaire, Hank Hinton, another man of legendary curmudgeonliness. It was something he scratched out for me many, many, many years ago.

I laughed and didn't give it a second thought then. But I'm glad I had the good sense to hold onto it now. You see not only has Hank had a hand in every groundbreaking ad campaign to ever come of out Chiat/Day, he drew the storyboards for Apple's 1984, the spot some say is the greatest commercial ever made. Thus linking me, in the most insignificant way ever, with a little piece of advertising history.




I would hope this post would somehow come across Hank's iPhone or laptop. Because it's my way of saying Thank You. But I'm pretty sure it won't.

In fact, if you were to ask Henry if he reads Roundseventeen, I'm sure his reply would be something like...

"Why would I read that asshole's shit?"

I wouldn't have it any other way.