Thursday, March 11, 2010

Shut your piehole

Recently, an art director I was working with suggested I change some dialogue in a script to make it sound more contemporary. Having embraced a new spirit of flexibility, I yielded and summarized a teenager's expression of shock with the simple, "for reals?"

It pains me to even write that down.

I know this is the "get-off-my-lawn" old man in me talking, but here are some other expressions I will not ever commit to ink:

"my peeps."
"get my drink (or any other verb like eat, sleep or shower) on."
"who's ready to party?" (party is not a verb)
"that's sick."
"that's tight."
"that whack."
"Awesome." (there are 8 wonders in this world that might qualify as awesome. A cheeseburger, a cup of coffee or even a sweater are not one of them)
"let's bounce."
"bromance."
"at the end of the day."
Even,
"dude."

Yesterday I added another phrase to the list.

While at the DMV, I overheard a man on phone telling his friend, "this place is crackin!" I can think of a 1000 adjectives to describe the DMV environment and the DMV experience. Crackin' doesn't even make it to the 100.

In fact, I still don't know what "this place is crackin" means, but it's a safe bet I won't be using that expression even if I did.



2 comments:

Jeff said...

Dude, not even dude? Aw dude...

rebrivved said...

Are you acquainted with George Tannenbaum's blog, http://adaged.blogspot.com/ You have much in common, including being of the Jewish, New York, advertising persuasion and worrying about the decline of the English language.