Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Apple crushed it


There's been a lot of talk about Apple's new Crush spot lately. In fact, so many have weighed in on it the last thing we need is one more bloviation. Particularly from an old geezer who worked on the Apple account (for BBDO) and actually freelanced at the Cupertino office (albeit for 3 not so productive days.)

But that's not going to stop me from throwing some digital ink on the page. 

However I will have to tread lightly as I have two daughters in the business. And each of them has a connection to the "offending" spot that's on the tip of so many overwrought tongues.

My oldest daughter works in Production at Media Arts Lab, a division/subsidiary/arm/ stepchild of TBWA Chiat/Day, my alumni. They are dedicated to Apple and often work hand in hand with Marcom folks up north.  

My youngest daughter just started as a full time Producer at Cartel Editing in New York City, where you guessed it, the spot was cut together. 

Brilliantly, I might ad.

From a technical standpoint, the ad is every bit as good as some of the classic Apple work that has preceeded it. It's shot beautifully. It's dramatic in clever and eye popping ways. The music is vintage and right on the nose. And it holds your attention all the way through.

Strategically, it's also incredibly simple. There's not a lot of math going on. That perhaps is my biggest beef with commercials these days -- the lack of clarity. 

I'm not an iPad person, never have been, but if I was there'd be no mistaking the message here, you can get all this (music, photography, gaming, etc) all in one handy, super thin (and I imagine, super lightweight) device. 

So what's all the hoo-haa about it? Why are so many upset about this one commercial while completely ignoring the nonstop spigot of brain spooge that pounds us into submission like a demented ex-President, every minute of everyday. 

I'm looking at you Liberty Mutual. You too, Jardiance. And Jan from Toyota, we get it, Toyotathon is on. When is it not on? And who dresses you, your mother? Why don't you mothball that old lady red sweater and call it a day? 

My girls feel hurt by all this. Which I suppose is good because it means they've invested themselves in their jobs. And by hurt, I don't mean broken arm or broken heart hurt. I mean, something fleeting. Like stepping on a Lego hurt. 

The pain will pass quickly. In a week no one will be talking about the Crush spot. Particularly when there will be even more lurid details about Captain Ouchie Foot and his escapades with the actress who headlined Porking With Pride 2.

Besides, I told them, you're gonna need a thick skin to be in this business. And, I added hopefully, it's never too late to get out and pursue a different, perhaps more lucrative, career in pharmaceutical sales or private equity. Yeah, private equity, where leftover scraps of money (thousands of dollars worth) just fall off the table.

Just a thought.


 

No comments: