Thursday, November 30, 2023

The Quest for $35 Million (Part 4)


Don't know if you recognize this building. It's called Jardine House, one of, if not the tallest buildings in Hong Kong, a city of many hi-rises. It's also the alleged home of Cheung, Tang and Rosemount Solicitors, one of the top law firms in all the world. 

Giving my correspondence with internet scammers the sheen of credibility.

For those who have not been following along, I was contacted by Richard Wong, a "banker" in Hong Kong who had discovered $35 million worth of gold bullion left by a man named Adrian Siegel. Turns out I am the only living relative of Mr. Siegel. And I would have to go through Mr. Wong to claim the booty.

In my last email I brought up the possibility that my unsavory cousin Morty (Morteeeeey) might want to hone in on the action. Mr. Wong ignored my plea as well as my offer to bring in my own attorney, Mr. Brian Boitano.

Instead (and this is a common practice among internet scammers) he wants me to deal with Lambert Liu, an inheritance attorney who works at the Jardine House.

To wit...

Dear Rich,

I have consulted a law firm and they will file an application to the probate court on your behalf. I've asked them to make an agreement to share the assets at 60 to you, 40 to me. If you're asked the reason for the transfer of 40% to me, you will tell them that I am your investment banker and it is meant for property investments in Hong Kong.

The solicitors will guide you through the process. I'll have the documents they need to file an application, including the death certificate delivered to their offices tomorrow.

Contact details:-

Lambert Liu
Cheung, Tang & Rosemount Solicitors
Email: lambertliu@ctr-solicitors.com

26th Floor, Jardine House,
One Connaught Place,
Central, Hong Kong
Tel: +852 8193 1747

He's expecting to hear from you. Please contact him to start the process. We can submit the application within the next 2 weeks if we start this week. You must always keep me informed of your discussions. If you are asked questions that you do not have answers to, please contact me always so I can provide an appropriate response for you to respond to them.

NOTE: PLEASE TREAT AS CONFIDENTIAL AND DO NOT DISCLOSE INFORMATION ABOUT HOW YOU GOT TO KNOW ABOUT THE ESTATE WITH THE SOLICITORS. 


I chose not to answer his request right away because I didn't want him thinking I was an easy mark. Also because I got a little lazy.

Nevertheless, respond I did:


Dear Mr. Wrong,


Sorry for the delayed response. I don't know if you celebrate Thanksgiving in Hong Kong. I can't imagine that the pilgrims went to Asia and stole land from the Indians, but here in the USA it's a big holiday. 

We went to my cousin Schmuley's house for a big family dinner. Schmuley is a Pescatarian so we didn't have a real turkey but one fashioned from Gefilte Fish. It was OK, I don't want to badmouth Schmuley. There were so many Siegels there I had to sit at the kid's table. On a folding chair. With no lumbar support. My back is more crooked than Steven Hawkins.

But enough about my tsuris

I'm very interested in getting the $35 million inheritance, but I'm confused by your recent direction to contact Mr. Lieu. I was just feeling comfortable dealing with you and would prefer not to bring in other strangers. Will he demand a cut of the money? What are his bonafides?

Frankly, lawyers scare me. I once lived next door to a lawyer, Perry Mason, who claimed I stole his Sunday NY Times and he tried to sue me in small claims court. He was so petty and vindictive. I never sued him when his dog left very wet poops on my lawn. I don't like lawyers.

Can we keep this deal just between you and me?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Tad (Richard) Siegel 

Next week we begin Chapter 2 of this imaginary windfall and my dealings with Mr. Leiu (SP). Stay tuned.

No comments: