Thursday, July 13, 2023

Naming names


Lately, I've been on a winning streak. And have racked up a significant number of victories in Jon Soto's Name the Band and Jon Soto's Name the Thing online contests. 

I've had so many recent winners lately, I've decided I'm going to carve out a special section on my portfolio page just to showcase the fruits of my labor. And Soto's amazing art direction. I also decided I could squeeze a blog post out of the endeavor. 

I can do that, and many other things, because I'm at that liberating part of my career where I just don't have to give a shit anymore.

Truth is, I wish I had reached that brass ring of nonchalance a lot earlier. It probably would have served me well.

But now I'm there. And I can take your job or not take your job. That decision is mine. And does not belong to some faceless Wells Fargo Mortgage Collection agent.

If you're not familiar, Senior Soto, a Chiat/Day alumni like myself, finds an interesting group photo and asks his Facebook friends to name the band as well as the name of the album. For a long time, I was confused by the order in which Jon requested the fictitious band names and errantly submitted some killer names as the album title. And vice versa.

Sometimes the two are interchangeable, like the Band (Plantar Fasciitis) submitted by me. And the Album title (Macular Degeneration) submitted by the very talented Ms. Muse, my partner in crime, who is now an enthusiastic contestant in this frivolous battle of juvenile wit.

Want to see the other Siegel winners, conveniently compiled for your amusement? 

Of course you do, because it's far more entertaining than the humblebrags about serving on the One Show Jury or the number of lyons collected in Cannes (apologies, Greg).

Without further ado...













I was going to supply a caption detailing my participation, whether I named the band or the album or the thing, but that would be a useless exercise in ego.

I like to think of these holistically, so just enjoy the laugh.

And also, friend Jon Soto on FB so you can enter the fray. 

You'll enjoy it.

 ----------


No comments: