Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Money, Money, Money


I don't know if you noticed but there were quite a few commercials for cryptocurrency during last week's Super Bowl. I lost count because even the ads for crypto were quite cryptic, including the Le Bron James telling younger LBJ to "call his own shots." 

Whatever that means?

And it wasn't until a second viewing that I realized that the Larry David commercial was also for crypto. 

Perhaps the mysterious storytelling was intentional. As it would make no sense to buy a Super Bowl spots and speak about the advantages or USP of crypto, since I, and I assume 98% of the Super Bowl watching crowd have any idea what crypto is. 

I will readily admit that in addition to be easily amused, I am easily confused.

Put this new digital money aside for a second, and maybe somebody can explain to me how "real" money works. I know the paper money is issued based on the gold standard (again, confusing) and that the government has machines that just keep printing it up. 

But it too makes little sense. 

As does a lifetime of chasing it, so that my wife and I could retire comfortably. That dream was dashed by cancer. 

Fuck Cancer. And Fuck these billionaires who build their Johnny Junior Spaceships instead of putting their substantial resources towards fighting disease and world hunger and climate change.

Sorry for the uncharacteristic Kubler-Ross burst of anger. My 64th birthday is next Monday and I am dreading it like nobody's business.

I'm also dreading the long wait until football season returns at the beginning of August. I suppose there's college basketball, which is no longer entertaining now that my Syracuse Orange, once a perennial powerhouse, have been reduced to a perennial on-the-bubble NIT walkover team. 

Or there's baseball. All 162 games of it. 

Which frankly bores the crap out of me until the playoffs. Maybe, just maybe, I'll take that time to study up on crypto.

Idea: A Masterclass explaining digital money taught by Larry David, Matt Damon and LeBron James. 

I'd sign up for that one. 


1 comment:

Sean Hardwick said...

Rich- you should get into Hockey. You’ll love it. And it picks up right when football ends.