Thursday, September 26, 2019

Leave me alone


What has happened to environmental awareness?

I'm not talking about climate change, ocean debris and making sure the egg shells and coffee grinds go in the green compost bin. We all know about that and hopefully we're all doing our part.

The pollution I'm referring to is people pollution. And it stems from so many of us not recognizing our own personal boundaries. The rules regarding this are currently unwritten but perhaps they need to be more codified.

Example. When I walk the 1.7 miles from my house to the iconic Culver City Steps in Baldwin Hills I'm not just doing it for the light cardio exercise. I'm doing it to commune with nature and indulge in some much needed serenity -- you know I have a wife and two daughters.

Well that much-needed serenity becomes impossible when other hikers insist on strapping Bluetooth enabled outdoor speakers to their day hike backpacks.

I don't like your "music."

I don't want to listen to your "music."

And I'm not going to warn you about the rattlesnake I saw in the bushes about 20 yards up the trail.

The same animosity is directed at the schmuck in the dentist office waiting room.

Congratulations, you got the new iPhone 11. But do we all have to be subjected to your public displays of affectation? I can't concentrate on my impending route canal while listening to you complain about how the wallpaper was installed incorrectly at your new Hollywood Hills home. Also, who still has wallpaper?

I see this kind of behavior every damn day. And no doubt you do too.

Look, there are 8 billion people on the tiny planet of ours. And life would be better for all of us if we just abided by the Golden Rule:

Get your shit out of my face.

One last thing. Because I would be remiss if I didn't mention this. When flying on a plane, whether it be a one hour flight, a five hour flight or a transoceanic flight of 10 hours, it is not permissible for you to board the plane with any food purchased in the terminal.

None.

A corollary to this, and this seriously needs to be considered by our lawmakers, anyone toting a bag of food from Burger King -- whose distinctive and altogether unpleasant aroma cannot be eliminated -- shall be eligible for the death penalty.

I think we can all agree on that.




No comments: