Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Breaking it Down.


Following my thoroughly enjoyable experience on Rob Schwartz's podcast a few weeks ago, I was offered an opportunity to do another.

And so I did.

A woman I worked with a long, long time ago reached out to me and said her boyfriend, Pete Turner, does a podcast. She told him I had written a book and had somewhat of a modest following right here at RoundSeventeen.

So we met at The Spot Cafe, a five minute walk from my house in Culver City, secured a table in the secret backroom staging area, strapped on some microphones and began to pod.

I was a little cautious and leery of walking into some kind of trap. Particularly since we were going to talk about my book and consequently, politics. Pete allayed my fears and said we would keep it light.

During the hourlong discussion, I got the distinct impression we had somewhat differing views on the happenings of the day.

I was loaded for bear and ready to rip into our filthy-rich Republican Senators like Hoeven or the supremely douchey Senator Pat Roberts, who, when asked about the ACA, replied quite sarcastically, "Oooo, I wouldn't want to lose my mammograms." (Fuck You, Senator)

But Pete took the conversation in a different direction. And that was fine. It may surprise you, but there are times I get tired of listening to myself talk.

The more interesting conversation happened after the podcast had been completed. That's when I found out Pete had served in Afghanistan. As combat reconnaissance.

I rarely get a chance to sit down and converse with active service members so I relished the opportunity. Pete has seen and lived through things none of us could ever imagine. That merits our attention as well as our gratitude.

He started telling me about the work he does with Wounded Warriors. In fact, as I am writing this  (on Saturday morning), Pete is swimming in an 8 mile relay race to raise funds for these brave men and women.

The universe works in strange ways.

It was at this point that I shared my stories about fund raising for Wounded Warriors by throwing my oversized barrel-chested body in the water and not coming out until my thighs were sufficiently chafed.

Later, I sent him an ad I had done to kick off the effort. And told him how we (including many of you) raised more than $4000.



It was an interesting afternoon, filled with lively discussion, anecdotes and differing points of view.

And it served as a refreshing, optimistic reminder that the asshats who govern us, in no way define us.

God, or Flying Spaghetti Monster, bless America.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I will provide further details about the podcast when they become available.







No comments: