Thursday, June 29, 2023

Not driving an Uber yet


Something strange happened to me this week. For the first time in a long time, I worked. I emerged from my vocational hibernation, hit Pause on my rigorous workout routine and began clicking and clacking. 

For money.

Even odder (particularly in light of yesterday's post) the phone rang not once, but twice. Both times from former colleagues. Maybe the reputation I thought preceded me, was not at all what I imagined it to be.

Cue the Flying Nun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl_NpdAy3WY

Maybe I'm reading too much into it.

NDA's and discretion prevent me from doling out any specifics, so I won't. But I will say it was refreshing to be working again. More specifically working again in legacy media like film and OOH. I love both but OOH is dear to me. 

Something about the brevity of it all. And the powerful ability of 7-8 well chosen words to stop people in the their tracks and make them pay attention.

It's a distinctly writer's medium. 

And, though I haven't been on anyone's payroll for a while, it's one I've been toiling at during my magnificent moments as a Man of Semi Leisure. If you've been following my travails on the picket line, in support of the Writer's Guild, you know I've been more than busy...







And those are just the ones I can find amongst the 273,951 photos I have on my iPhone. 

But the best thing about these jobs was how they came to me. 

I wasn't cold calling. I didn't have to resort to any self promos. I didn't have to beg. Or outwit any of the 273,951 out of work freelance copywriters who've been displaced by Mr. Copy (see yesterday's blog.)

Actually, that's only the second best thing. When the checks come in, I plan on treating myself and switching from the expensive $13.99/lbs. Atlantic Salmon to the even pricier $15.99/lbs. Atlantic Salmon.

These truly are the Golden Years.








No comments: