Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I only have one job.


I'm closing in on 12 years as owner/operator/proprietor of Rich Siegel Worldwide, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cynical Industries.

Cynical Industries.
We're only in it for the money.

Every year is different and brings with it new adventures.

Well, except for my first three years as a freelancer (2004-2007), where I was gainfully employed as a 'permalancer' back at Chiat/Day (I prefer the old moniker.) This never sat well with my brother, a CPA with little or no understanding for the way the advertising world works.

"Wait, they fired you back in 2002. And now they brought you back as a freelancer? With no management responsibilities? And they pay you more than you were making before? And you get to wear shorts to the office?"

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

My brother, a man not fond of monkey suits, was most upset by the last bit of dissonance.

Nevertheless, I was earning my money. Putting out fires on almost every Chiat/Day account. And even writing body for some of the young bloods (interns) who were still intimidated by a blank page and begged me to do their work.

The economy went south in 2008 and I was shown the door. Since then I've stepped foot in almost every agency in Southern California, traditional, digital and otherwise. I never know where the next assignment is coming from. Thankfully, it always does.

In 2015, I found myself working for a slew of new clients. Invariably, they come to me because they've heard of this blog or seen some funny pictures of Kim Jung Un or even caught wind of my book.

Social media may not be right for selling widgets, but it works wonders for selling writers.

I even started doing work for this little tech start up in Seattle, Amazon. Maybe you've heard of them.

And so, while many of you have grown tired of my endless self promotion, my snarky commenting and my ubiquitous internet presence, you can be sure it will only continue. And more than likely grow.

At least until my daughters have graduated from college or I've won the Powerball.

Whichever comes first.






No comments: