Tuesday, April 2, 2013

To wit, Twitter

I have come 180 degrees on Twitter.

In the past, I have poo-poo'ed it as the social media of the millennials. 140 characters for a generation whose thoughts barely merit 100.

I saw it as a fad that would soon go the way of Myspace, Plaxo, and FourSquare. By the way, please stop sending me FourSquare requests. You want to know where I am? I'm at my computer. I'm working, here.

But that was before. This is now.

I have evolved on the topic of Twitter. And come to see it as an important tool for spreading the gospel of roundseventeen.

Last month, March 2013, I saw the highest amount of web traffic since I started this blog. More precisely, 8,156 page views. I know in the past I've said I don't write this blog for anyone but myself, but the truth is I find myself looking at the analytics. And like any baseball player I like to see my batting average improve. And it has.

Why?
Because of Twitter.
More specifically, the Tweets from Trott.
Dave Trott, that is.

Dave lives in England. He is the Executive Creative Director of The Gate. He has also founded several agencies including GGT and Bainsfair Sharkey Trott. Somehow Dave stumbled onto this blog and in his words became a "regular reader." Unlike you however, Dave will occasionally go to the trouble of tweeting about entries he finds amusing.

And when Dave Trott tweets traffic trends towards...er...I have run out out of alliterations...let's just say good things happen. His tweets become favorited. And then they get retweeted. And then, thanks to the exponential power of Twitter a whole new crowd is exposed to roundseventeen.

Of course they never return again. And why would they, when the Internet has so many more amusing distractions that do not require more than 15 seconds of their time. Like this:


I owe Dave a thank you for sending readers this way. I'm hoping he'll tweet about this entry because if I'm going to top the 8,156 hits I had last month, I'm going to need to start this month with a few home runs.





3 comments:

dave trott said...

Rich,
I couldn't possibly retweet a link to this post.
You've used my name and, being English, that would look far too much like self-promotion.
(Smiley winking face made out of punctuation).

Rich Siegel said...

I used to run the Jaguar account, so it won't be the first time I'm a victim of British modesty.

Jeff said...

I, like you, have done a 180 on Twitter. In fact now that I have a job that includes writing and monitoring social media for a cable network, Twitter is a big part of my day every day. I love the fact I can go from 0 to a paycheck in 140 characters.