Tuesday, July 28, 2026

I can't breathe


Let's talk about elitism. 

Not through the lens of politics -- although that might come up -- but through the world of sports, entertainment, diversions that relieve the 24 hour a day anxiety about politics.

Last week I purchased two tickets for a Dodger game. At the wise request of Ms. Muse, I picked seats on the 3rd base line away from the direct shot of the Southern California afternoon sunshine which as of late can fry an armadillo without the aid of a magnifying glass. 

The purveyors of said tickets know this and charge more for seats on the left side of the field than they do for the right. Greedy oppportunistic bastards.

The two tickets cost roughly 300 bucks. But that's just for starters.

Add in the parking 35 bucks. 

A couple of hot dogs at 10 bucks a shot. 

A bag of shelled peanuts because you need something to do with your hands as the flying beachballs never get this high up in the nosebleeds. And a few of those mighty $22 beers, because if no one is swinging a bat, a pitcher's duel can get pretty boring.

All in, the night can cost up to 500 smackeroos!

I'm not complaining. 

OK, I'm complaining a little. 

Fortunately I'm retired and enjoying the fruits of my significant advertising labor and can take the hit. But what about Joe Sixpack and Betty Bag O'Crackerjacks stuffed in her Spanx to save from her concession stand robbery?

It's not just sports. 

The same scenario will play out a few weeks from now when we go to Las Vegas to experience the Wizard of Oz at the Sphere. Where for the money we're spending they should sprinkle the audience with real opium from above when Dorothy and friends traipse through the poppy fields.

While having dinner with friends recently, someone mentioned a trip to see the Long Beach Dirtbags, a local college team. And another chimed in about the Oakland Ballers, a semi-pro team. They both went on about free parking, easygoing crowds and ticket prices well below three digits. Oh and the $2.00 hot dogs. Lest there be any doubt about this trend, witness the wild appeal of the Savannah Bananas. SWIDT?

The disparity is outrageous. And it's dangerous. 

Owners, athletes, and corporate sponsors had better wise up. Because they are pricing themselves out of the market. And driving a wedge between the Haves and the Have Nots. And even people like myself, who Have a Little. 

I'm now convinced that Free Market Capitalism will be the death of Free Market Capitalism.




 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Holy smoke that last phrase hits hard yet has a ring of truth we should all listen to.