Monday, July 15, 2019

Book Covers, Part II



It's time for another episode of Rejected Book Covers.

Two weeks ago I shared one of the many covers in contention for my upcoming book. One roundseventeen reader thought it was incredible and would be incredibly hard to top.

I also took the liberty of soliciting private opinions from some trusted souls in the ad business.

If you didn't get a private email asking for your opinion, it doesn't mean I don't trust you. More than likely it means my wife was nagging me to take out the recycles. Or beckoning me to come to the TV.

"You're not going to believe what he did (or said) now."

A clear reference to Captain Ouchie Foot and our continued descent into Stupid Fascist Hell. By the way, this picture of our "Christian" vice president visiting American concentration camps has got me spitting mad.


Six of the Nazis pictured above, Senator Marcia Blackburn, Senator Cornyn, Senator Graham, Mike Pence, Senator Thom Tillis and Senator Mike Crapo (hiding in the back) are the subjects of my book. And deserve all the fiery derision I can muster. Fuck these assclowns, who "were only following orders."

I digress.

But only slightly.

Because that sentiment, that rage that bubbles inside me every goddamned morning, and occasionally oozes, lava hot, from my fingertips, was the inspiration for today's rejected cover.



I love this rendition.

It reminds of the great editorial illustrations that graced the front of The New Yorker or the NY Times Sunday magazine. It's simple. It's clever. And it's guttural.

Maybe too guttural. Perhaps it's because I'm currently sitting in Facebook jail, but I'm a little sensitive to the notion of community standards.

And can also see running into problems with the Amazon people so I shelved this one.

Moreover, I've deluded myself into thinking the new book will have a life beyond the bookshelf, or more accurately beyond another cardboard box stuffed into my already stuffed garage.

I like to think of Nancy Pelosi and the DNC purchasing thousands of copies. And further like to picture enthusiastic interns and operatives handing my book out on the steps of the Capitol building, causing a national stir and a great awakening in the GOP.

It would be a shame if all that never came to pass because someone took offense over a middle finger cartoon.

I mentioned I was delusional, didn't I?



1 comment:

Helen said...

Look forward to reading it, Rich!

Congratulations,
Helen