Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Kony Baloney



There's a short viral film that is making waves on the Internet. Something called Stop Kony. I'll be completely frank here and tell you I have not looked into it. I know there's some controversy brewing about context. Factual errors. And whether the film will actually help or not.

I'm not here to talk about any of that. March Madness and tax season are in full swing and I haven't had the time to see what all the buzz is about.

But I can tell you the buzz reached my house before it reached Facebook, Twitter, or even this new fakackta social media, Pinterest.

When I came home from work the other night, my two teenage daughters had already been showing the youtube video to my wife. They knew all the Kony details. They were emotionally moved by it. And they were fully vested in the story. And I can't stress this enough, this was before the film blew up on the Internet.

That's when it occurred to me that have I have been blessed.

Not only because I have two beautiful, healthy teenage daughters, but because as someone employed in the marketing/advertising/entertainment arena, I have my own personal trending detectors living right here under my roof.

Let's face it, the clock on the wall isn't going backwards. In fact, last weekend it jumped an hour ahead. Making me one hour closer to "who's the old guy writing our commercials?" (Or websites, or tweets, or Facebook/mobile applications)

But I try not to spend too much time thinking about that. I may not sport a porkpie hat, a nose earring or a sleeve full of tattoos, but I'm pretty confident I can out-idea, out-write and out-think, any of the kids that do.

Besides, I don't need any of those affectations of creativity, I have a secret research weapon (my girls) that enables me to stay on top of the ever-changing media landscape. In fact, when I finish this post, my oldest daughter has agreed to help me update my myspace page.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I want to read more of your posts, but I'm busy transferring my reel from beta to microfiche.