Friday, April 8, 2011

Tomorrow's forecast: Cloudy


Given my predisposition to cynicism and my obvious disdain for anything that reeks of 'spiritual', 'metaphysical' or 'faith-based', I am curious as to why Stephanie Risely's ad for Pastlife Regression Works popped up on my Facebook page. Perhaps it has to do with my obvious need to lose weight, get lean and sexy now. I've been trying to do that my whole life. And to no avail, I might add.

I know it has nothing to do with getting plugged into my soul power. I have the power to bench press my own weight, but as far as soul goes, I'm afraid the crotchetty middle-aged man on the outside goes all the way to the core.

I am however fascinated by people who believe they have had past lives.

Invariably they were Kings or Queens who once presided over large swaths of land and commanded great armies capable of taking down the Romans. What a traumatic descent they have made to bourgeois homeowner, mother of two and Senior Brand Manager of Proctor & Gamble, Soft Packaged Goods Division.

Personally, I'm not concerned about what or who I might have been in the past. Nor do I believe there is any wisdom to be gleaned from that supposed knowledge. What terrifies me is the notion that some fat, bald Jew of the future will retrace his steps and stumble upon my sophomoric legacy of snarky advertising and naval-gazing blog postings and say to himself, "That was my past life? I want a refund."

No comments: