Monday, November 11, 2019

Culture shock



My wife and I have spent the better part of the last two weeks moving my uncle from his home in Palm Springs to his new "home" at the ______ _____ assisted living residence in Santa Monica.

I dare not print the name of the place because sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

I will say however, that since my life now encompasses a disturbing and growing familiarity with assisted living homes, senior care, and inedible vegetable lasagna, I am thoroughly convinced that our euthanasia laws need to be revised. Because I am not destined for that kind living.

But I digress.

What is it with old people and power strips? It seems every time I open one of my uncle's boxes, there's a power strip chord. There are so many of them I often find them coiled up with each. It's like turning over a rock and uncovering a nest of snakes.

Indeed sometime they are attached. The power strips have their own power strips.

I have never seen so many in one location. Nor was I aware of the great power strip variety that are available to the avid power strip shopper, as my uncle seems to be.

There are the long straight versions (as seen above). These can accommodate 6, 10 and even 12 inputs. There are also the squattier boxy versions, presumably for when you don't want your power strip extending too far into your living space. There are even accessories for your power strip, including the power strip octopus...


This little doohickey gives your power strip even more power options.

My wife and I had thought we'd seen it all until we went out to the Palm Springs house to clean up what was not brought to the ______ ______ assisted living home.

There, behind desks, beds and furniture destined for storage, we unearthed the mother lode of power strips. My god they seemed to replicating. He literally has enough to start a small brick and mortar store, Uncle Ron's Power Strip Emporium.

If you find yourself in the Palm Springs area, please feel free to give me a call and help yourself to as many power strips as you'd like.

I also have a shit ton of HP photo paper.






No comments: