Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Good morning Jerry


Having been on the set of many, many TV commercials, video shoots, TV shows and even a couple of movies, I can safely say I've had my share of breakfast burritos.

I can also confidently state that the one pictured above was, in the vernacular of Mick Mulvaney, "far and away the best. FAR AND AWAY."

Readers of this blog know I don't do much in the way of food reviews. Mostly because my palate is distinctively unrefined, as indicated by the fancy packaging. I'm a Hole in the Wall Guy. The more authentic, the more daring, the more tongue-searing hot, the better.

In other words, I'm no Jonathon Gold, LA's late legendary culinary poet laureate. Nor would I ever pretend to be. Though I did work with his brother Josh, an equally talented freelance copywriter who now regularly takes jobs away from me and fittingly, food off my table.

But I digress.

The 5 Star Breakfast Burrito above hails from Jerry's Market, a tiny shack of a place, known only to local Culver City breakfast burrito aficionados, like my daughter. We went this morning and I still can't get over how good this breakfast burrito is...was.

"Please don't blog about it", my daughter pleaded.

"Too late", I said, "The world, or at least the 8 readers of RoundSeventeen, must know about Jerry's.

I understand her reluctance to let the burrito out of the bag, as it were.

Years ago, before anybody had even heard about it, I wrote a similar piece about our other neighborhood gem, the Jackson Market, and now it seems the entire westside shows up for their monstrously good sandwiches.

Here's a picture of Jerry's.


It's small.
It's unassuming.
And it's recently been painted so the outside looks a little different. Suffice for the number, 3969, I'm not providing any other details.

But it is in the Media District of Culver City.

Not surprisingly, Jerry's Market is known to the artists and craftsmen and craftswomen in the media business, including many who find themselves in post production houses in the vicinity. Also not surprisingly, the owner (Bob, Jerry's son) was more than willing to tell us about the celebrities who frequent his joint.

Like Ryan Reynolds, who found the garlic habanero salsa, "a bit too spicy" for his delicate stomach.

You big Wuss.














No comments: