Monday, April 15, 2019

My daughter the art director?


I know this kvelling thing can get a little old.

Particularly for readers of RoundSeventeen. Who come here for red hot rants on the rancid state of our industry. And not for some saccharine sweet homage to children, who, let's face it are a colossal and expensive pain in the ass.

So you'd think last week's posting about the cool bag my daughter Abby had designed would have been enough. But it's not. And in the spirit of my blogging friend and fellow old timey copywriter George Tannenbaum, I will trudge on.

Because last week my daughter Abby, a senior at University of Colorado who graduates in just three short weeks, completed her final project. And when I say she completed the project, of course, I mean we (as in the entire family who nursed her through all the ups and downs of the endeavor) completed the semester-long assignment.

We didn't so much as help as we did listen to the travails of her scouring the state of Colorado for willing subjects, all of which will become clear in a moment.

I know paternal and professional pride play a big part in what's going on right now. But even if I were to discount my feelings by 25 - 50%, I would honestly say this is an incredible piece of work. Her professor suggested that the project could be taken to a willing publisher and expanded into a coffee table book. I'll go even one further and suggest it could be a Netflix documentary.

It requires no further explanation. And so I invite you to take a look.

https://www.thedaughtersofesther.com

This represents hours of work. Rearranging schedules. Research. Equipment rental. Design. And of course, writing. And so, even more impressive than the final piece, is knowing and witnessing all the work that went into it.

If I worked as hard as she does at age 22, I wouldn't just be in the Advertising Hall of fame, I'd have my own wing.

Last week, I was brimming with pride because my daughter had a seemingly-genetic ability to turn funny ideas into funny shit.

This week, I'm simply in awe. Because my daughter has something I don't.

The ability to turn a singular idea into beautiful, amazing and moving art.



No comments: