Tuesday, March 5, 2019

The West is the best.


I moved to California a long time ago. Let's not quibble about years or numbers. It's a story I've told many times before.

I graduated from Syracuse University. Came home, lived with my parents for three weeks. And then, not knowing what I'd do with my life other than to pursue a career in writing, bought a one way ticket to the Golden State.

I had hundred dollars in my pocket. Knew nobody. And didn't have a place to stay. So I took a bus to UCLA, where one of the frat houses agreed to let me live on their roof until they could rent me one of the boarding rooms.

There was a mattress.
A place to shower.
I was sleeping under the stars.
And my whole life was in front of me.

I had arrived in heaven, via Delta Airlines and the Brown #83 bus line.

I know the place has its detractors, but I love it here. And so it strikes me as strange when I see those detractors showing up in my Facebook feed.

Not long ago, I stumbled onto a discussion among folks from my hometown, Suffern, NY. There, a bunch of provincial knuckleheads were droning on about how they would never, ever, ever live in "this hellhole."

Really? I thought.

Because on any given day, I can walk three miles to the beach. And in the middle of winter, take off my shirt and work on my tan. For the sake of small children and the rest of humanity, I choose not to take off my shirt, by the fact remains that I can.

Should I decide to head east, within 2 hours time (1 & 1/2 if I sneak intro the carpool lane or hijack my unsuspecting daughter) I can be at 10,000 feet of elevation and skiing down the black diamond runs at Big Bear.

Who would want to live like that?

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that much of the disinclination towards California is cultural. Particularly now during these politically divisive times.

And yet, I'd bet a better part of my life savings that these same red golf cap wearing people who have nothing but disdain for "Hollywood" and "show biz libtards" spend an inordinate time watching TV, going to the movies, and otherwise consuming the media they so clearly abhor.

You're welcome.

Also, in another example of cognitive dissonance, this lambasting of California was taking place on Facebook. Guess what my narrow minded numbskulls, Facebook as well as Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin and all manner of social media, were created and developed right here on the West Coast. Not to mention Avocado Toast. And the double cheesy crunchy Gordita.

This place, this big beautiful place, is the world capitol of innovation and imagination.

Who would want to live like that?

And finally, like everywhere else on Earth, California is defined by its people.

Here you will find the best and the brightest. And they're not all white. Last week I finished a job working with my partner from Bangladesh. We were working for a creative director from Germany. And one from England. The woman who called us in was from Australia. Every morning was like a mini meeting of the United Nations. We'd swap stories. Gain new perspectives. And be better people for the experience.

Who would want to live like that?

I do.











1 comment:

Dead Jim Morrison said...

I was born in Los Angeles. Raised in southern California. I'm a 6th Generation Californian. But I can't afford a house (or condo for that matter) in Los Angeles or San Francisco. I can afford one in Boston. Which isn't exactly cheap. But at least it's not SO far out of reach that I'd have to work for 200 years to afford 1,000 square feet. I suppose I could rent, but come on, that's just giving money away. Anyway, my parents still live in southern California, and still love it. But as they say, "We couldn't afford to live here if we didn't already live here."