Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Logo, Schmogo



Today, we're doing something we have never done in the ten year history of RoundSeventeen -- we're introducing a logo.

This may seem a bit back asswards, especially for me, a 44 year old who has toiled in the ad business for who knows how long.

The truth is that when I started this blog, way back in 2009 when I still had a smattering of hair and we still had a president with a smattering of intelligence, I had no idea I had launched what will eventually turn out to be my most lasting legacy.

I gave as much thought to the name as I did to my official Google identity, Glasgowdick. Never thinking any of this stuff would stick.

The addition of a logo comes on the heels of a piece written by fellow cranky blogger, George Tannenbaum. He rightly noted that some companies see their fancy logo makeovers as some type of branding that will win the hearts and minds of consumers. All in lieu of making product improvements. Or, god forbid, stepping up to the plate with an actual brand message that will resonate.

I left a smart ass comment on the post suggesting that perhaps I needed a logo.

And voila, now I have one. Actually, I have some.

Because, completely unsolicited, I started getting submissions from art directors who either a) wanted some exposure on my crappy little blog, or, b) were luring me in to some complicated Illuminati recruitment scheme.

In either case, and because I'm a bit of a contrarian, I'm game.

Some of you early readers might remember that over the years I have gone through an entire carousel of various taglines for R17, including:


RoundSeventeen
Now with 23% more cynicism.


RoundSeventeen
Biting the hand that feeds it since 2009.


RoundSeventeen
At the corner of west coast optimism and Bronx-born nihilism.


It took quite a bit of experimentation until we landed on the current tagline, which has yet to be topped.

And so, it is in that same spirit that I will file these logo submission, gauge their popularity, and rotate them in and out with illogical randomness, the same way the Dodgers do with Matt Kemp.

Also, if you're a young art director and want to get in on this to show your wares to 8 very influential readers, sent your submission to: siegelrich@mac.com





1 comment:

Tom Cordner said...

Hey Rich, Cordner here....a funny idea hit me while reading your blog...a suggestion mind you...what if you created for the lazies out there a youtube channel where you read these brilliant gems...while your voice is still virile and full of of piss and vinegar...you can wear hats to hide your shiny forehead and while we can feel your humor in those twists and turns there's nothing like that crusty face saying pithy rants. If you do it and your successful I want a cut....or lunch.


I make my students read your blog and Dave Trotts'....I teach a writing class at ArtCenter.

Please consider this...its way better than going client side.....tcordner@mac.com