Wednesday, September 12, 2018

To blog or not to blog


My wife is of a cool, calm demeanor. Never loses her temper. And is quite deliberate about all her decisions. Particularly ones that regard work and career. Why she took a chance with me remains as mysterious as the whereabouts of DB Cooper and the Ark of the Covenant.

Not surprisingly, she often reads this blog, shakes her head, looks at me and says,

"Seriously?" 

Or, "Really?" 

Or, "we're both gonna end up in a dirty nursing home, I hope you're happy about that."

You see, she's not a big fan of my refreshing candor. Of course that's what I call it, she characterizes it as stupid, bull-in-a-China-Shop, brutal fucking honesty.

"Keep biting the hand that feeds you and there won't be any hands left." 

to which I will reply...

"I don't bite the hand that feeds me. I bite the whole arm."

I'm 44 years old and I'm afraid it's a little too late in the game to change my ways and not call it as I see it. Besides, in 2018 the three indisputable truths that I have been harping on for the last ten years are even more indisputable:

1.) No one likes the Long Table of Mediocrity™.

2.) No one is paying attention to Frivolous Fuckwadian Digital Knick Knacks™

3.) No one has come up with anything more persuasive than the written word

To wit, last week I received a phone call from a fellow Creative Director who runs his own little independent agency. And has done so for years. We had never met, though I was familiar with his work and he was familiar with mine.

More recently, he was familiar with RoundSeventeen and had become a regular follower.

In short, he put my partner and I to work on a juicy assignment. Obviously I can't get into the details on the project. But I can make some observations on the process. Because in contrast to what my wife thinks or says about this blog, some people, smart people, if I may go Trumpian here, the smartest people on the planet, like what they're reading and are prepared to act on it.

Meaning, the blog not only attracts work, it attracts the right kind of work from the right kind of people.

Take that Debbie.




1 comment:

BOB HOFFMAN said...

You are way ahead of me. My wife has never read a single one of my posts or books. The sad part is, I'm afraid she's right.