Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Is that a helicopter?


Three weeks after graduating college, I bought a one way ticket to Los Angeles, packed a duffel bag and said goodbye to Suffern, NY. I carved out a life for myself here and with the exception of weddings, funerals, vacations and business trips, never gone back.

Dead set on becoming a writer, I had no idea what I was doing.

Convinced I couldn't make a dime as a writer, my father tried to steer me in another direction. Any direction. He arranged for me to get a job at his company's warehouse/distribution center. As a fork lift driver in Gardena. It was actually in Compton, but for the purposes of making sales calls everyone was told to say Gardena.

"How am I going to get to Gardena, Dad? I live in a boarding house in Westwood and I don't have a car."

"Get a bicycle."

Clearly, fathers have no business getting in the business of their children's burgeoning careers. But just as it didn't stop my father -- I drove that damn forklift for over a year -- it's not going to stop me.

My oldest daughter, Rachel, graduated from the University of Washington back in June. She appeared numerous times on's the Dean's List and now has a degree in Public Health. For the past month she has been traveling with friends, Israel, Greece and Portugal. But she's back. And now it's time for the rubber to hit the road.

Like many newcomers to the Real World, she's not sure what she wants to do. There's still an interest in Public Health. But there's a also a growing interest in making some money. And, don't ask me why, a never ending interest in driving one of these...


This is where you, the well-connected and well-intentioned readers of Roundseventeen, come in.

I'm looking for any type of leads or opportunities. It could be in advertising. It could be in production.  It could be in anything, healthcare, entertainment, law, even accounting.

Only, it has to be local to here in LA. I've gone four years without hanging out with my smart, funny and beautiful daughter. And I'd to be able to spend time with her.

And I need her around to pick the dog poop in the yard.










No comments: