Thursday, November 3, 2016

That ain't right


Heineken Light makes it OK to flip another man's meat.

What?

SFX: DVR in Reverse.

Heineken Light makes it OK to flip another man's meat.

Let me get this straight. The agency brought you rounds and rounds of work. Work that no doubt stressed the great taste of Heineken Light, the beer of choice for young hipsters who want the great taste of a great tasting beer but without all the calories associated with a full bodied import.

And because there was a celebrity spokesperson involved, my guess is the script scrutiny was extra intense. The last thing anyone wants to do is embarrass themselves in front of an A-list thespian like Neil Patrick Harris.

And yet, after all that, after all the hundreds and hundreds of man hours on this pivotal spot, you guys chose this lifeless drek, with a meaningless and pointless homosexual innuendo, against a white syc, with the same production value afforded the shooting a 5 year old's backyard birthday party?

I've spent a lot of time in this stupid marketing business and still can't wrap my head around this one.

How the planners convinced the client this was on strategy?

How the creatives arrived at this weird contrivance and more importantly how they sold it?

And how something like this actually sells more beer?

Heineken Light makes it OK to flip another man's meat.

Next time I'm having lunch with one of my gay friends or my gay uncle is visiting from Palm Springs, I'll have to ask exactly what that means.

Or, maybe I don't want to know.

In any case, I wish the people from Heineken would reach out to me. I'd be happy to give them advertising that moves their product.

Instead of commercials that sell more Beck's Light.

Heineken Light makes it OK to flip another man's meat.

No comments: