Monday, September 29, 2014

Good Morning


There's a meme (I still can't figure out how to pronounce that word) floating around the Internet that goes something to the effect of 'Try to live a week of your life without complaining.'

The thinking goes, that if you refrain from the negative and surround yourself with positive energy, the world will return the favor with all its incumbent blessings.

I don't know if that's true.

I'm hardly a spiritual being.

In fact, I'd describe myself as a good-hearted nihilist, an oxymoron in anyone's book.

I don't subscribe to the belief in energy fields. Or Karma. Or other dimensions other than what the scientists can see and measure. And Neil Degrasse Tyson can squeeze onto a TV show.

However, we are in the middle of the High Holy Days and, despite the contention of my wife, I'm always up for trying new things. Particularly if it involves spicy food. Or anything from pages 39-54 of the Adam and Eve catalogue.

Is this going to be easy? It most assuredly will not.

If nothing else, this blog is a constant conveyor belt of non-stop grumbling and grousing, carping and kvetching. Topped off by our new tagline, voted on by 9 loyal readers:

RoundSeventeen, No artificial sweeteners.

But here's something you didn't know about me. I'm a closeted optimist.

This never ceased to amaze my old partner, John Shirley. Faced with daunting odds, myopic clients and shoestring budgets, I always felt we could muscle through any situation and come up with a winning solution. Always.

"When we're shooting this spot in London with Frederick Bond, it'll be great."

John would roll his eyes and start telling me about the last Simpsons episode he watched and why every town needed a Monorail.

In any case, in light of the recent success we've enjoyed with our four part series and our themed weeks, the next few days will adhere to a strict "Think Positive" motif.

With uplifting stories.
Kinder, gentler anecdotes.
Cuddly puppies.
And fresh cut sunflowers.

It's probably gonna suck.





No comments: