Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Who is with me?


For those of you who don't speak or know Korean, the translation is:

Create the hot-wind of Masikryong Speed and rush forward in the drive for a grand revolution in development!

If I've said that once, I've said it a thousand times.

The poster, and the translation comes from Rodung Sinmum, the official news outlet of DPRK.

If we're friends on Facebook, you know that for the past 6 months or so, ever since Kim Jung Un started rattling his cheap bamboo saber at the United States and the world, I have been having fun at the Dear Eater's expense.

I've literally combed through hundreds of photos of Kim and re-captioned them with my own take on his special brand of narcissism. The entire collection can be seen here.

I'm content to keep lampooning the young tinpot dictator just as long his continues to parade around in his black pajamas with his toady, note-taking generals.


Mostly because I am unexplainably fascinated by the bad haircuts, the bad tailoring and the bad Orwellian propaganda. And because I have no meaningful hobbies.

But lately I've been hearing a lot of chatter about compiling all these photos and captions into a hard-cover coffee table book. I field these requests online and in private emails. I certainly appreciate the sentiment and the encouragement.

And I would love to comply. Having a book on the shelves, or even online, would go a long way to validate my seemingly indiscernible skills.

But none of that mitigates the realities at hand. I don't own the photos. I don't want to be sued by a rogue country. And I don't have a publisher who can sort out all the logistics so that I can pursue "my art."

If this social media thing were half as powerful as the digital ninjas claim it was, one of you out there would be helping to:

Create the hot-wind of publication and rush forward in the drive for a four-color coffee table book of political satirization!


No comments: