Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Dear Anonymous


One of my greatest disappointments with this blog is the lack of dialogue.

That is, very few of you take the time to leave a comment and share your thoughts on what I've just shared. If a particular piece sparks a reaction, it's usually posted on Facebook.

That's not to say it never happens. Recently, a simple posting I did on gay marriage rights produced a spirited thread, with replies numbering in the three digit range. Not to mention some very heated and polarizing rhetoric.

I enjoy this kind of verbal sparring, particularly when it involves other writers, OK, copywriters, in the ad business. After years of persuading unsuspecting consumers to buy a certain car, or dish soap, or athletic shoe, it's fun to apply that same skill set and try to sway people to a different point of view.

Of course moving people off their long held political stances is a lot more difficult than getting them to try a Chalupa. Take for instance this anonymous commenter who recently left me this nugget:


I'm the first to admit that I criticize Islam, possibly in a politically incorrect or even insensitive manner, I don't feel like I have to be tolerant of intolerance. But I would like to point out the stupidity of Dave's/Fred's/Joe's/Phil's/Mike's remarks. I don't know his name because this commenter chose to remain anonymous, apparently lacking any courage of his convictions.

Because what amuses me is that he chose to leave this little missive on a recent post I did about the absurd Orthodox Jew who boarded an airplane and then enclosed himself in a plastic bag to avoid being contaminated by any dead spirits.  

Furthermore,  if ill-informed Anonymous were to read a random sampling of R17, he'd find I've taken plenty of opportunity to "make fun of Jews". Plenty, indeed. Including my popular Things Jews Don't Do series, my annual skewering of Passover/Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur, and countless references to old Jews who send the cold soup back to the kitchen.

More interesting however is how Anonymous equates the two phrases: "make fun of jews or call out israel on their bullshit." The two are not the same. Or so I am told by my many ultra-liberal, "Co-Exist-Happy" friends who say... 

"Isn't it possible for me to be Anti-Israel without being Anti-Semitic?"

It is possible. Assuming you have some very nuanced thinking and a more-than-perfunctory knowledge of the history in that region as well as a thorough understanding of the Diaspora and 3,000 years of religious persecution. Also assuming you can agree that Jews building a townhome on disputed land is not the moral equivalent of a terrorist bashing in the head of a 4-year old with the butt of a rifle. 

Sure, it's possible, it's just not very probable. 









3 comments:

Steve Kimura said...

well, I was gonna leave a snarky comment just for you, but then I read the rest of it and you got all serious about the Mideast. so, I got nothin'

glasgowdick said...

Sorry about that Steve. Sometimes I just need to vent. The funny (?) will return tomorrow.

Jeff said...

I think he's right - you should make fun of Jews and Israel more often. You should be more like Muslims, who as well all know have a long history of laughing at themselves. Like the time that Dutch artist drew that cartoon that showed....oh, wait a minute. Never mind.