Thursday, February 23, 2012

Wish I had thought of that


Years ago, when I had disposable income and didn't have children, I thought it would be a good idea to buy land in the high desert, somewhere near Mojave. The prices were right. For $10,000 -- the cost of a Mitt Romney bet -- you could lay claim to 20 acres of unprime, unfertile, unreachable scrub.

I was talked out of this venture by my wife and my uncle who said it was fool's gold.

Today I picked up the Los Angeles times and read how solar energy companies are paying top dollar for the same ugly, unusable acreage I did not buy. Seems they need the land for the exact reasons why nobody in their right mind would own it. It's nowhere near any people. It's hot as hell. And until recently, it was dirt cheap. In other words, it's a perfect place for them to install energy-producing solar panels.

This story about unrealized dreams could end right here.
With a good asskicking to myself.

But it doesn't, because last week a friend posted a trailer for a new movie starring Bill Murray's brother Joel. I had worked with Joel years ago and used him as the voiceover for our El Pollo Loco campaign. His new movie is called God Bless America and it was written and directed by Bobcat Goldthwait.

The movie centers arounds a man who discovers he is terminally ill. Angry at his lot in life, he decides to take his vengeance out on those people he deems unfit for oxygen.


Sound familiar? It should as I began this year's with a posting about the exact same thing entitled, People We Need to Kill.

The movie is set for an early April release. And though it is extremely dark and won't be everyone's cup of tea, I do believe it vents a widely held sentiment and will make all those involved a ton of money. My recurring thoughts on this matter and this blog will not.

There's a lesson in all this.

It's about ideas. And taking action on those ideas. And not giving in to doubt or procrastination. I'll get around to spelling out what that lesson is after the Syracuse/Rutgers basketball game which is set to tipoff in two minutes.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I'll see it just to watch the guy taking two parking spots get wasted.

Ojibwe Confessions said...

I would watch that movie. I think people do think like that: "if I had a terminal disease, who would I take out?" :d There are worse ideas out there. Who knew austin powers would catch on??? Some movies just don't work but the idea is a good one. Yeah, it's roads not taken.
Hope you get the idea on track(s). I found your blog from the forum invite.