Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Moe Overhead


A few years ago, a fellow copywriter and freelancer, asked if I'd be interested in doing a long term gig in Las Vegas. He was assembling a group of funny writers, somehow I got on the list, to write some TV show or something. I only remember I was booked otherwise I would have jumped on the opportunity to spend weeks with other writers crammed into a rented Winnebago.

As you can see from the picture above, it was a good thing I passed.

It seems while driving back my buddy misjudged the clearance of a highway overpass. Or he misjudged the height of the RV. In any case the vehicle came to an abrupt stop like an accordion exhaling one last sour note. Fortunately no one was hurt. Or decapitated.

As my occasionally funny buddy wrote when posting this picture to his Facebook page, "pretty sure we can buff this out."

Last week I found out he is leaving the freelance world and has accepted an ECD position at DDB in Los Angeles, which is located at the former home of TBWA Chiat/Day.
In the iconic binocular building.


I don't know if you can make it out from this picture, but the entrance to the underground parking garage passes right under the bridge of the binoculars. It's a pretty low clearance. Lower than many highway overpasses.

I just hope that if Erik decides to drive to work in his 2003 Sedona Maple Red Pontiac Aztec that he has the good sense not to put his prized Air Supply CD's in the visor pocket.

No comments: