Monday, April 18, 2011

Dumbest Criminals Not Caught on Tape


About two months ago, and against the always-wiser advice of my wife, I installed a state of the art camera surveillance system on my home. The cameras are motion activated and capable of incredibly clear infrared night vision. The system also has a large capacity DVR recording system that can back up months of surveillance. There's even an internet based application that allows me to check in on my house via my iPhone.

As far as the camera system itself, well there's good news and there's bad news.

The good news is that since installing the system, no dogs have pooped on my front yard. And more importantly, the person who was leaving trash on my doorstep and vandalizing the garden has suddenly stopped.

The bad news? No dogs have pooped on my front yard. And the person leaving trash on my doorstep and vandalizing the garden has suddenly stopped.

You see, part of the joy of installing such a high tech system was the promise of actually catching some rascal red-handed and providing the local police indisputable evidence.

Frankly, I've been robbed of that.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the peace and quiet. And I'm happy that my crazed neighbor has re-upped his prescription of lithium. There's a lot to be said for deterrence. But there's even more to said about retribution, a plate that is best served digitally, compliments of the EyeMax HSR 9000.

No comments: