Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Because I said so


Last week, a mom in Florida (identity not necessary) picked up a gun and shot her 16 year old daughter and 13 year old son. The story is tragic on so many levels. Not the least of which is my understanding of her state of mind.

I have two teenage daughters who have cornered the market on sass. When they're not fighting with each other, they're fighting with me. Or their mother. They're combative about homework, chores, respect, hygiene, and so, so many other things. It's one reason why my pantry is always well-stocked with bourbon.

I suppose it's all karma coming back to pay me a visit. After all I was no joy as a teenager. I remember my mom always saying, "Just wait 'til you have kids of your own. You'll understand."

I do understand. Of course technology has afforded us many ways to deal with teens afflicted with excessive 'mouthiness'.

You see, I've had many moments when I've heard my inner voice scream, "Damn, I like to strangle this kid." But unlike the mom in Florida, I don't own any firearms. I can however reach for the nearest computer and retreat to the digital library.

It's pictures like this, and the memory of when I actually liked my kids, that keep me from landing in jail.


No comments: