Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Where the elite meet to read about meat

One of the things I enjoy about advertising is the premium it places on brevity. As Oscar Wilde or George Bernard Shaw or S. J. Perelman said, "brevity is the soul of wit." I should be able to correctly attribute that aphorism, but as I have noted in the past, I'm not much of a reader so I can't tell you which author actually said it.

But that's hardly the point.

Note how in 6 simple words, the driver of this Toyota has succinctly communicated his or her carnivorous nature. But there's so much more. I think that someone who would go to the trouble of affixing this license frame to their motor vehicle would have us draw other inferences (or implications.) Again, had I been more of a reader, I would know the proper grammar.

I'm willing to bet this carnivore is also a gun owner. That he or she is 1/32nd part Cherokee (or at least that what they tell people at cocktail parties.) I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that this California driver, unlike many residents of the Golden State, has a healthy disdain for Tofu.

As much as I'm willing to give it up to the writer of this clever 6 word screed, I'd point out that years ago I conveyed the same POV in a more economical 5 words...

No comments: