Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Try the poi

I know how uncool it is to admit listening to Smooth Jazz. But I do. I said it. And I'm not going to apologize to anybody. Particularly to my daughters, who love to mock the station ID.

Girls: Ninety four seven, The Wa-a-a-a-a-v-e.

Years ago, I worked as a bartender/cook/waiter at several jazz clubs in LA and enjoy the hearing the music of people I used to know in a previous lifetime. It was at Hop Singh's and At My Place that I met Kenny Burrell, drank with Ricki Lee Jones and greeted the sunrise after all night parties with Billy and the Beaters.

Right now The Wave is running their Trip A Day contest and offering to send lucky listeners to any destination around the world. Yesterday, Mary from Silverlake drew the winning ticket. And guess where Mary from Silverlake wants to go on this once-in-a-lifetime excursion?

If you said, Norway or Thailand or Madagascar, you'd be wrong.
You see Mary likes the comfort and convenience of strip malls, Burger King and Costco.
Mary wants to go to Maui.
Maui, Hawaii, USA.
That Maui.

I have a low tolerance for stupid people.
It's only surpassed by my intolerance for stupid people who win things.

Way to go Mary.
Bring us back a picture of a pig with an apple in its mouth.




2 comments:

Tod Rathbone said...

remember this...

"ninety-four seven, a little bit of heaven. KMET, twiddle-dee."

Rich Siegel said...

I do remember KMET.
And I miss the time when you could turn on a rock station and NOT have to listen to non-stop
Kings of Freon.